SailNet Community - View Single Post - Near disasterous first sail
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 11-11-2013
Re: Near disasterous first sail

Nice story! Lots of lessons learned, no serious damage - so not a bad day really. Some observations:

- Generally wives don't appreciate going out during the learning (or "oh cr*p") stage of sailing. It tends to be stressful and sometimes scary. Sometimes skippers even shout at them.

- Any loose line on a boat spontaneously tangles. Anything not carefully stowed leaps overboard, seemingly of its own volition.

- Personally I don't turn the engine off until the sails are raised and the sails are full.

- Can't help you with the slugs, as I don't know your boat...but generally on most boats I have sailed on all slugs are installed before you leave the dock, and sometimes the main held in place with sail ties to keep it there; some boats also have a helpful "flap" which closes the slot in the mast to prevent slugs from escaping.

- In gusty days, like in a Sunfish, get ready to dump (i.e. let out) the main with the gust (turning into it is also an option IF the centerboard is down). You know why :-) Boats over 30' often have the mainsheet out of the jam cleat when it is gusty.

After every sail I do, I tend to reflect on what I did, and what could have done better...

Don't worry, just persevere. Nowadays things happen which, as a beginner, would have left me curled up in a fetal position wimpering...but with familiarity of sailing in a bigger boat, you just roll your eyes and put Murphy back in his box and deal with it. Fair winds!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome