SailNet Community - View Single Post - wise or unwise: replace 1 of 4 batteries in house bank?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: wise or unwise: replace 1 of 4 batteries in house bank?

I faced almost exactly the same decision several months ago. My almost 8-year old T-105s were beginning to fail. These batteries have been babied since new, with frequent measurements, excellent charging & care. I have six of them in the house bank.

One of the six batteries began to lose capacity...almost one-third.....for no apparent reason. After contemplating finding a used golf-cart battery to replace the failing one -- mostly for research purposes --I decided to just remove that battery and it's paired one from the house bank array, thus leaving four batteries in the bank for several months. I watched them carefully.

Sure enough, after about 3 months two more batteries began to lose capacity. It was time to replace the whole lot of them.

After some research I decided to try Crown golf-cart batteries. Well built to industrial specs in the U.S. and considerably cheaper than T-105s. That was a few months ago. So far so good.

I'll know the outcome sometime in the next six or seven years :-)

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 11-11-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook