SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best snorkling in Southern Florida/Keys??
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Best snorkling in Southern Florida/Keys??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I visited over 20 years ago. Pretty nice snorkeling off their dive boat. I saw the biggest Barracuda I could imagine. On Key Largo.
John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park
Best of all it is a Florida State park so even if our "friends" in congress shut down the national parks (Everglades N.P. is one of 'em) John Pennecamp park should still be open.

Further down the Keys is:
Bahia Honda State Park, Florida Keys Beach, Beaches in the Keys, State Park in the Keys, Florida Keys State Park, Public Beach Florida Parks
where we camped out. Also a FL state park. Not that far from Key West.
Make your reservations now though for either of these.

Another attraction worth visiting is Sanibel Island. Not so much for snorkeling as the Gulf waters can be pretty turbid but for the shells washed up on the beach. I'd stay on the main land or Otero Island (Ft. Meyer's Beach) as hotels on Sanibel are $$$$. Your ladies will probably enjoy this place even if you don't.

Most of all have fun!
Caleb,

You have us looking at the pictures of Bahia Honda. It's beautiful. The campground is booked until the spring, otherwise that's where we'd make camp while we explore the keys.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook