SailNet Community - View Single Post - should I replace my standing rigging myself
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: should I replace my standing rigging myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
This winter I definitely need to replace my standing rigging. I was at my local home depot and noticed that they carry stainless steel wire rope the size and style that is appropriate for my boat. I need to save money as much as possible and was thinking I could just buy the ends from a marine supplier but buy the wire rope in bulk from my home depot and put them together myself. I am sure I can physically do it and are wondering if there is something I'm overlooking. I can get a 250 ft roll of stainless steel wire rope for $79. The ends are going to cost much more than the wire rope. Also looking for someplace to acquire the ends for as little money as possible. The boat is a 1977 26ft trailer sailor, fractional rig, used exclusively on a fresh water lake. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Frankly, considering you have no way of knowing the source or quality of the material, I think that would be a false economy considering how inexpensive good 1x19 wire rope is from a reliable provider such as the SailNet Store (above left) or Defender. See 1 x 19 WIRE - Type 316SS and Marine Wire Cable on Sale. Further, considering the cost of the connections, I suspect that you might find that sending your rigging off to be matched/replaced by a reliable supplier such as JSI (aka Island Nautical) might prove no more costly in the long run. Further, if the wire needs replacing, I suspect the rigging screws, pins and toggles might need a do-over as well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook