SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wiring schematic app?

15K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  L124C 
#1 ·
I want to produce a schematic for the "custom" electrical system developed by the boat builder, PO's and me on my boat. Was going to use "paint" or something similar, but think there must be something that makes it easier, having specific symbols etc.
Googled and searched this forum, found nothing.
Thoughts?

#3 · (Edited)
List of usable tools Here Tried several, found Schemelt worked best for me. Here is a simple (in progress) schematic for Solitaire drawn with Schemelt. Online and tied to DigiKeys parts database, its geared more towards electronics than straight electrical, but ability to create your own components is helpful. BlueSea fuse block and meters in referenced schematic are "custom" componets. Little learning curve, but I was drawing right along within an hour.

Have fun...

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Nice job on Solitaire!
I was thinking along the lines of making the schematic follow the rough outline of the boat to indicate how the wires are run.
My wires have three routes forward, along the Port and Starboard gunwales and down the center under the cabin sole (standard I assume). For example, I'm running a wire along the Port gunwale to supply both the Port and Starboard bow nav lights. I'd like my schematic to indicate that's how the power gets there. So that if there is an issue, I'm not tracing the wire from the switch or light to see were it goes and troubleshoot.
I've seen it done on power boats.
Is that possible or too much to ask of a schematic? Maybe I need to make a separate wiring map, but I'd like to make it a one step process if possible.

#5 ·
I've seen the drawings like you're describing. Those are usually done in a CAD program, not in a schematic capture program. Schematics usually have circuit-level symbols (transistors, resistors, microprocessors, etc.), and most modern schematic capture tools also have emulators/simulators built in to test the circuits you're building. You're looking for something that's at a higher level and more visual than functional. I'd look for a CAD program, or "just" use something like Paintbrush or Microsoft Word.

#6 ·
I used google docs - there's a free drawing tool, sort of cad (very) lite. But it worked. I put together a schematic showing how I wanted it to work, then a wiring diagram showing how I would actually connect it. It was good to be able to share with others for review during the design process.

I didn't think about adding in the hull shape to show how all the wires actually ran. That might have taxed my meager cad skills. But would have been nice. Next time.

#9 ·
I used google docs - there's a free drawing tool, sort of cad (very) lite. But it worked. I put together a schematic showing how I wanted it to work, then a wiring diagram showing how I would actually connect it. It was good to be able to share with others for review during the design process.

I didn't think about adding in the hull shape to show how all the wires actually ran. That might have taxed my meager cad skills. But would have been nice. Next time.
Thinking about it more, I don't even think I need a boat outline, as long as I know where the bow and stern are in the drawing, and run the lines down the three channels I mentioned earlier. If anyone has examples of what they have created in the programs mentioned here, I'd love to see them.

I've started numbering the wires and creating a corresponding list and description of the routing, but having a visual would be nice.
I've found when I come back a year (or more!) later, I sometimes look at the descriptions that seemed so succinct when I did the wiring, and say....HUGH?

#8 ·
So I design schematics for a living. You don't want or need a real schematic capture tool for this because you're not trying to output a netlist or bill of materials (and schematic capture tools are very often arcane pieces of junk).

You're really just trying to create a drawing. Microsoft Visio is ideal for general purpose diagrams of anything, wiring included and this is what I used for my boat. As others said, microsoft word's drawing feature is fine and I've seen plenty of engineers use this too.

Any diagram tool that lets you draw and connect lines and add text is good.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the info

I have been wanting to rewire my US yatch 22' and you all have great ideas!!
Not to go off topic, but make sure you check out Genuinedealz.com for your wiring materials. I'm not related in any way, just a very satisfied customer who found them on another SN thread and wants to share the wealth. After all...those of us who maintain their own "yachts" need all the help we can get! http://www.genuinedealz.com/

#14 ·
I use PowerPoint....

And because :worthless:

I am trying to figure out how to do this in Visio (which I just re-installed).

#15 · (Edited)
I guess I am thinking of a diagram rather than a schematic. It would be a map that shows how the wiring is run. I find that when I work on wiring I did a couple of years back, I have to completely retrace the path to figure out where things are. Tough enough dockside, I can't even imagine doing it at sea! The example in post #3 shows the lighting circuits (for example), but doesn't indicate how the wires are run. The Schematic in #14 is pretty much what I have in my motor manual, but again doesn't show locations, or lighting for that matter. Both programs could be used to do what I'm talking about.

My boat is pretty basic, and maybe it's weird, but I've got lighting and instrument wires running from the panel in back of the galley, along port, starboard and down the center of the boat, some even crossing bulkheads, all meeting in the Head to go up the mast. The positive for the running lights runs from the panel to the stern, then forward along port to the bow, while the ground returns along starboard, except for the stern light which has it's own ground path.

I've kind of said all of this before. However, I'm curious...doesn't any one else ever feel like they would like to look at a diagram that shows the actual wiring paths to troubleshoot a problem? Maybe most boats are more straight forward than mine.

#16 ·
Updated schematic:

I added the negative buss bar, a terminal strip, and moved the connections for the Echo Charge from the battery terminals to the back of the battery selector switch (because I don't like stuff connected at the battery). Not shown here are the connections to the battery charger, which is also connected to the back of the selector switch.

Regarding the wiring diagram, while I believe that this is a good idea, and I recall seeing one for a 1985+ Pearson 30-something, I also think that it may be impractical.

Realize that wires are located in three dimensional space. A diagram only represents the location in two dimensions. How would you discern a wire running through the headliner from one running under the cabin soule? I guess that you could construct several diagrams showing "layers."

#18 ·
Regarding the wiring diagram, while I believe that this is a good idea, and I recall seeing one for a 1985+ Pearson 30-something, I also think that it may be impractical.
Realize that wires are located in three dimensional space. A diagram only represents the location in two dimensions. How would you discern a wire running through the headliner from one running under the cabin soule? I guess that you could construct several diagrams showing "layers."
I have a hard liner, and don't have any wiring up there. The port and starboard wiring all runs under the gunwales, and any wiring down the middle runs under the cabin sole, so two dimensions would work. But your point is well taken. I'm playing around with Open Office Draw. It seems you can layer drawings. If so, you could have a separate layer for the wiring in the liner. I'll post what I come up with. I might even do a layer for lighting vs. mechanical (for example).
In addition to being an aid in diagnosis, I think the diagram would give an overall view that would be very helpful. I sometimes look at the way other people (including the manufacturer) did work and think "why did they do that?". Hell....I even look at my own work and wonder the same thing! I trace on my hands an knees for 15 minutes and suddenly have an Ah-Ha moment.
Having a overview would show the relationship between electrical components, and possibly more efficient ways to connect them.
In building construction we call it a "as built" plan. As opposed to a "as planned" plan. AKA...A reality check!:laugher

#20 · (Edited)
Here is what I have done so far using Open Office Draw. The diagram is about as crowded as I want now, so I'm looking into adding additional systems in "layers". I have a spread sheet that explains the wiring numbers in detail. However, I have to say, I don't think there is much this drawing doesn't tell me (or a subsequent owner) about the lighting and bilge pump system. Wish I had it when I bought the boat!

Took a while to learn the basics of the program. And I know S&S would not be happy with how I depicted the lines of their hull! However, creating and editing is easy now. I didn't exactly find it intuitive, but understand most of the drawing programs are very similar. Once you learn one, the others make sense. The line colors are much sharper in the drawing program or printed version than this JPEG version.

Thanks again for all your help!
Thoughts/suggestions?

#22 · (Edited)
Don't know how to transfer the spread sheet file, so I copied the text below. Nothing special. Just the wire number and description of the it's function. Missing numbers (i.e., 1-9) haven't been assigned yet. Wires are numbered with the adhesive wiring stickers you can get at Lowes.

Not even sure the spreadsheet is the best way to do it. You could use a numbered text document just as well, or make a little data base if you really wanted to get fancy! The advantage to having the diagram and list in digital form is that you can edit them as you make changes, and print new copies to have on the boat. I'll look at the diagram and go to the list if I need clarification. Should eliminate those, "how (where) the hell did I run that wire??" moments!

The diagram also points out weaknesses. For example I'm thinking I should run the ground in 34 from the Starboard mid ship box directly to the batteries instead of having it run all the way back to the ground at the switch panel, where it goes forward again to the batteries. Probably eliminates about 30 feet out of the circuit. This wasn't really an option until I installed the Starboard midship junction box. In any case, it wasn't apparent to me until I looked at the diagram.
Thoughts?

10 +/- Nav lights from panel to aft nav light bus.
11 +/- Stern running lights
12 + Bow running lights
13 +/- Port bow running light
14 +/- Starboard bow running light
15 + Tri color masthead light
16 + Steaming light
17 + Spreader lights
18 + Anchor light
19 - Steaming light Returns to panel via 23 & 30
20 - Spreader lights Returns to panel via 23 & 30
21 - Tri color & Anchor masthead light Returns to panel via 23 & 30

23 - Returns 19,20,21 to Port midship box, then to switch panel via 30

25 Wind instrument (Instrument to masthead)
26 Depth instrument
27 Speed instrument
28 Battery Monitor Shunt connects positives from both batteries to monitor and motor ground to batteries.

30 +/- Port cabin lights to mid ship (connected to 34) . Connected to 34 at switch in panel.
31 +/- Light above stove

34 +/- Starboard cabin lights. Panel to mid ship bus box. (connected to 30)
35 +/- Halogen light on port bulkhead in saloon

37 +/- Light above stereo

39 +/- Florescent light on starboard bulkhead
40 +/- Light above sink
41 - Bow lights. Returns to panel via 34
45 +/- 12V charge terminal above AM/FM (fuse at terminal?). Pos. also supplies back up AM/FM power (Fuse in radio). Source - forward bus at batteries.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.