SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge Pump Blues
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Bilge Pump Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Brian- Thanks for the thought. Did pump for ~10 minutes as thought of that given the long run of the hoses. Would have thought even if nothing coming out would get some resistance at the handle but get nothing. So thought maybe a hose clamp or something got loose so couldn't develop suction and that's why no resistance at the handle. Looked and can see no source for leak.
They maybe "junk" and a scared man with a bucket maybe be the best bilge pump but the manual pump(s) would get that last little bit of water out of the bilge which the electric pumps don't. A bone dry bilge is a nice thing. Don't get why both worked in past and neither work now. Was told something about a one way valve in them which maybe fouled. Haven't taken the pumps apart yet but that maybe next step unless someone has further thoughts.
Mine has a "check valve (really a one-way valve)" at the very end of the tube. It is a screw on, but I cannot imagine how that type of valve would fail. Have you tried putting some water in a small bucket and seeing if it pumps it out?

Brian

PS I would make sure mine worked too. But being a new boat, I would be on the telephone with Outbound!!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook