SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the halyard the only support for the boom
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Re: Is the halyard the only support for the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
My little boat has a split backstays with a cradle strung between them for the boom, kind of like a pigtail. The previous owner could not stress enough how crucial it was to remember to take it off before sailing! Sounded like it was personal experience...
My standard mode of operation was to take off the main sail cover, attach the main halyard to the back end of the boom and remove the pigtail. I made it a habit, second nature so that didn't forget. I also had a little mental checklist of things to check before raising the main and that was the last thing on the list. It was an easy thing to remember for me as it was at eye level and I used a bright yellow line so that it was visible. to me it wasn't a big deal......then again I might have a different opinion had I forgot 1 time in a good blow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to gedaggett For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (11-12-2013)