Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Actually there is a full keel boat in the fleet, a Laurin 32

According to the "leaderboard" the boat is in 18th place of 36.....and the 4th smallest boat in the fleet.

Can this be real Paulo?
First I thought you were kidding me, you know the ARC has not yet begun but then I understood that you were talking about the ARC+ a side event with a much smaller number of boats, boats that could not find place on the ARC.

A single example will not prove much, you need several cases to have a pattern in what regards statistics. That boat can be sailed much better than others, flying a spinnaker while others are not using it. You need several cases to be statistically relevant and that's why I had on a previous post considered several old boats and several modern boats.

Even so, even if that boat is well sailed I don't understand your enthusiasm.

You as usual confound corrected time with real time. The boat that is called Corona has a time of 6d 12h 32m 31s and his in corrected time in 18th place out of 36 but the one that is 33th has real time of 5d 23h 44m 49s and it is incomparably faster

That means that the boat that is in 33th place has already an advantage of about 12 hours over the one that is in 18th.

So please, look at the map were the boats are in real time and there you will see that the boat is on the back of the pack.

The last one is an Oyster 35 mariner, one of those heavy boats with a modified fin keel, or kind of a short long keel. Very close goes another of those, a Passport 40.

Anyway there are few boats on this rally and we cannot compare performances namely what regards the main question: the performance modern performance cruisers loaded with the performance of old designed heavy boats, preferably with full or modified fin keel. There are not a single modern performance cruiser of that size racing, I mean regarding your full keel boat.

Yes, we can compare the performance of other old designed heavy boats like the Passport 40 that goes before the last (6d 20h 11m 7s) with the only performance cruiser with about the same size even if a little bigger, a Bavaria Match 42 (5d 1h 30m 16s), almost two days less but the Bavaria Match is not a contemporary model. We can also compare it with a smaller modern light cruiser (not a performance cruiser), an Hanse 370 that has a real time of 6d 0h 16m 8s, almost a day less.

Anyway there is not many boats to compare here, I mean old heavy designs with modern performance cruisers. On the big one with more than 200 boats we would have a lot more to compare and we can get meaningful results, I mean statistically. Starts in some days.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-12-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook