SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

VHF radios.

6K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  k1vsk 
#1 ·
I need to replace the VHF radio on my boat (32 mirage sailboat)...really old and noisy...the radio...not the boat. I started to look around and was a little overwhelmed at the number of brands...price ranges and features. Most of the features are similar...dispite the price difference..however there are some which I find very interesting (ie: Wham Microphone to allow me to stay at the helm..hook up to a GPS sor that you can automatically send location during distress signal). Is there a location that rates / reviews these and provided some practical guidance in making a choice.:confused:

#2 ·
LadyHawke...West Marine has a pretty good overview on features and what is important here:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/howtofixedvhf.htm
The WestMarine individual product pages have some customer reviews on specific radios which can help decide between a couple of models.
Frankly, I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the major brands but I kinda like the Icom stuff myself.

One thing you might consider rather than a Wham Mic....is mounting the radio on your pedestal. You can then get a basic one for "downstairs" and for less money than a Wham...you have two complete radios which is a lot better in terms of redundancy. They can be run off the same antenna with a T switch.

#3 ·
You definitely want your new VHF unit to have DSC capability and to tie it into the boat's GPS unit.

While Cam and I might not agree politically (even though most of what I say politically speaking is to get a rise out of him)... ;) I think his suggestion of having two VHF units is a pretty good one, if you've got the room for two full installations. The one change I'd make is that I would have a second antenna installed for the second unit, and two switches, so that either unit could be switched to either antenna. I'd mount the second antenna on the cockput pulpit... which trades range for redundancy.

#4 ·
Excuse me, but my experience tells me connecting 2 VHF to one antenna isn't gonna help much if you had a lightning induced damage like mine. My antenna blew up (vapourised) along with rest of the boat Instruments, strangely the Simrad RT63 VHF is still working fine after replacing a new antenna. If I've to install a new VHF, I would fit an Icom (Ic-402) in the cabin, install a Command Mic at the pedestial and buy an Icom Handheld as backup (may even include a long portable antenna for the handheld).
What I don't like about the Simrad is, the insulation of the mic cable dis-integrated to pieces literally (perhaps due to the heat/mositure of environment - near Equator).

#5 ·
Practical Sailor

PS did a review on VHF units last year. They are very thorough. I believe you can order reprints. They can be found here:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/

I am looking to replace my VHF unit this year. I have decided on the Standard Horizon QUEST-X GX1500S. This unit is a class D DSC (has two receivers so it can monitor the DCS channel while receiving on another channel), supports a remote mic, and can also function as a repeater for speed, course, and location.

The price is reasonable - about $150 from a lot of on line places.

Good luck,
Barry

#6 ·
I agree about the two radios offering redundancy, but having ONE antenna seems to defeat the redundancy argument.

I would suggest that the "noisy" attribute that you mentioned when starting the post is probably due to a poor radio to antenna connection, or bad power (bad filter capacitor / loose / corroded wire). I suggest having someone reputable check over the installation of what you have FIRST. This may save you some headaches later.

I would suggest that you investigate purchasing a handheld unit as your second. Like camradarie, I like what I've learned about the Icom line, and am looking at an IC-M88 (~$250 USD) as a backup. (the West Marine brand of handheld radios are made by Uniden - BTW) This way, if ever the worst case scenario arises, and you have to leave the boat at sea, at least you can take a working radio with you.

Does anyone have any opinions / advice on the IC-M88 radio?

Ed

#7 ·
I use a Standard Horizon handheld. One reason I do like it is that it is one of the few that has very basic DSC capabilities, which most handhelds do not.

Trantor-

That's why I suggested mounting a secondary antenna elsewhere on the boat.

#8 ·
sailingdog said:
You definitely want your new VHF unit to have DSC capability and to tie it into the boat's GPS unit.

While Cam and I might not agree politically (even though most of what I say politically speaking is to get a rise out of him)... ;) I think his suggestion of having two VHF units is a pretty good one, if you've got the room for two full installations. The one change I'd make is that I would have a second antenna installed for the second unit, and two switches, so that either unit could be switched to either antenna. I'd mount the second antenna on the cockput pulpit... which trades range for redundancy.
There are roll-up emergency VHF "ribbon" antennas with right-angled RG-58 connectors that I carry in case the mast comes off and I still want 25 watts instead of the max. 5 W the handheld will supply.

#9 ·
eherlihy said:
Does anyone have any opinions / advice on the IC-M88 radio?Ed
I have both an IC-M88 and an IC-M72, and both are excellent handhelds with very long battery life between charges. The controls are slightly different, but I can't say that either is preferable to the other. When I bought the M-88, there was about a $70. rebate that made it more appealing, price-wise.

#10 ·
sailingdog said:
I use a Standard Horizon handheld. One reason I do like it is that it is one of the few that has very basic DSC capabilities, which most handhelds do not.

Trantor-

That's why I suggested mounting a secondary antenna elsewhere on the boat.
Sailingdog:
Is your hanheld your primary VHF radio or an extra backup? If it is back up what MMSI number would be assigned it, the same as your primary or would you use a secondary MMSI number? The reason I ask is that my MMSI number also carries with it all particulars of my boat and identification, now when I use my extra handheld it is usually when I go out in the dinghy and my dinghy discription does not match my boat discription. Although my handheld is not DSC capable if I did get one that was DSC I would face this dilema. The main radio I have is DSC with an extra WHAM set, love the WHAM.

#11 ·
The handheld is a usually a backup, but if I'm working the foredeck, I'll have it with me. All the VHF radios that are DSC capable on a boat get the same MMSI number generally. If you were to get one specifically for use with your dinghy, I am guessing that you could apply for a separate MMSI for it, but I don't really see the point in that. If conditions are that bad, I won't be heading out in the dinghy anyways. Besides, the GPS information is gotten through the handheld's cradle, so it is dependent on the GPS from the main boat anyway. I have a second, non-DSC handheld that is usually used in the dinghy.

#12 ·
I've got a Uniden fixed mount, but I got a Uniden Mystic handheld. Yes, it's bigger than the others, but it has a built in GPS along with DSC. It's done well in reviews, and while the GPS is a bit strange to work with (I mostly DON'T work with it - just use my chartplotter) it's nice to have a portable GPS/VHF/DSC all in one.

#14 ·
CD-

I thought the newer units were actually Standard Horizons, not Unidens...

#16 ·
Simultaneous vs dual watch

We have an odd new regulation this year. We have to be able to listen on two frequencies simultaneously. No, not dual-watch, that rapidly switches from the selected channel to channel 16 and locks onto 16 if there is anything there. We have to have two receivers, one might be dual watching 16. So OK I have a hand held for the grab bag and a dear old indestructable Sailor RT144B as main machine. But no DSC. This side of the pond DSC has not found very high favour. Ok, if we are replacing the set for other reasons, we go for it, but just to spend cash when I already have two? No AIS is higher on my list.

#17 ·
The only reason I'm pretty sure that Standard Horizon took over the manufacturing for West Marine is that WM's new Vh-f250 has a lot of the same features and setup as the SH HX471. None of the other manufacturer's, at least to my knowledge, make a handheld that works both in FRS and VHF except for SH.

The real major difference is the lack of the "strobe" LED that is on most of the SH handsets.

#18 ·
I have the Icom 502 with the command mike and although I like this set up If I was to do over again I would go with two radio's and ant's. When the alternator is charging more than 20 amps. or so, I get a loud hum while transmitting from the command mike. This was discussion in the Cruisers Forum with other members with the same 502 and command mike and all with the same problem. It ended up Icom had lots of idea's on how to solve the problem but none ended up as fixes.( moving wires, shielding ext.) I did not personally talk with Icom. Again this was a problem with the command mike and not the 502 radio. http://www.icomamerica.com/products/marine/m502/

#19 ·
If you were in the shipping lanes, the dsc feature would allow you to set off an alarm on the bridge of a ship coming at you. I nice feature if you couldn't raise them on the vhf. It would get there attention.

#20 ·
Freesail99 said:
If you were in the shipping lanes, the dsc feature would allow you to set off an alarm on the bridge of a ship coming at you. I nice feature if you couldn't raise them on the vhf. It would get there attention.
Snag is the DSC bleats in every ship in response to an all-ships call. There are reports of this becoming very irritating.

#21 ·
All dsc radios have a number, a phone number if you will. That number can be generated by the dsc radio and used to call or set off an alarm in the ship. Changes are, there would not be many ships in the same area. I did not say a all ships call. You may find the dsc to be a much better tool at sea then a radar reflector. Also, the radios dsc number could also be used to "call or ring" a friends boat.

#22 ·
Freesail99 said:
All dsc radios have a number, a phone number if you will. That number can be generated by the dsc radio and used to call or set off an alarm in the ship. Changes are, there would not be many ships in the same area. I did not say a all ships call. You may find the dsc to be a much better tool at sea then a radar reflector. Also, the radios dsc number could also be used to "call or ring" a friends boat.
Ok - so this ship is coming at you at night, so its difficult to read his name and even if you can, do you know his MMSI? You try him on channel 16, no answer, then on channel 13, no answer, etc.. Or you can hit the all-ships call, maybe that will wake him up.
Now add AIS, and the picture looks a lot better, because the AIS should give you his MMSI.

#23 ·
Idiens said:
Ok - so this ship is coming at you at night, so its difficult to read his name and even if you can, do you know his MMSI? You try him on channel 16, no answer, then on channel 13, no answer, etc.. Or you can hit the all-ships call, maybe that will wake him up.
Now add AIS, and the picture looks a lot better, because the AIS should give you his MMSI.
You won't know his MMSI, but AIS would give you that. However, lacking AIS, you could do an Securité type call over DSC and that would help ensure that they would hear the message.

#25 ·
So your worring about waking people and not about a ship possibly running you down ?

#26 ·
I'd prefer to have as many witnesses to someone being stupid enough to try and run me down, rather than have them do it and no one the wiser... but that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.