SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking For First Boat - Columbia vs Others
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007

jdsackett is on a distinguished road
cal 25

i dont know how available they are in your area, but give a cal 25 a look. i have one, my first bigger boat also. good light air boat. mine has a pop top that i probably wouldnt like in open water, but i sail on a lake. with the top popped i have standing headroom, im 6'1" in my sox. small dinette, small galley. small head with porta pottie. birth is big enough for 2. nice sized cockpit, enough room for 4 easy. good weekender. pretty good storage, big lazerettes. been out in 25 mph winds with 95% jib and reefed main, no problem, sailed nice. mine has a 6 hp outboard, which is adequate for my situation. only down side is the tiller is forward of the transom. a real pain to steer and change gears and throttle settings. need to rig up some remote controls for the motor and should be a lot better. could throw a party on the foredeck. hanked on sails. good , solid little boat and can be had pretty cheap in good shape. good luck on your search. sail one if you get a chance, i single hand all the time, no probs. best regards, j.d.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook