SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Hannah

Wine is 80 cents a bottle? no wonder you live large!! I'd never leave. Here one beer in a pub is $6, you need a $50k income for an apartment and an old car, lesss than that and you have to shack up with 5 room mates or freeze under a bridge, I just spent $800 on a tank of heating oil that will probably last 2 months and I am working to supply all 5 in my family with a roof, a bed, 3 meals and health insurance.

Seriously it is all great to hear about all the youngins who get out there and live the dream. But doesn't it stand to reason that someone somehwere is paying the price of supporting them. Keeping the homestead , or the rest of the family whole, paying airfare back and being the mommy/.daddy bank when things go wrong. Nothing wrong with that either - I wish my wife and I had some support when we started out. Instead it was straight out to the hourly wage farm - and move lively!

Very few, or almost no american kids are going to go cruising that without family or friends/ tribe - someone supporting them. There'd be no place to go home to, no one to call when you got sick ( WITH NO HEALTH INSURANCE!) hungry , your boat broke, or you just needed $$. Think about it. This is all over and above the cost of boat, equipment and daily expenses.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook