SailNet Community - View Single Post - wise or unwise: replace 1 of 4 batteries in house bank?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: wise or unwise: replace 1 of 4 batteries in house bank?

We just went through the same routine with 4 T-105's last July. One fried and 3 seeming to be okay. After discussions with Maine Sail, I pulled all four and turned them in, replacing them with 4 new. The Gulf Cart shop put a load tester on the 3 "good" batteries and all three proved to be very weak. Fortunately for us, Gulf Cart's and their batteries are so ubiquitous in Florida, replacement T-105's were only $105.00 each. One "trick" the technician at the shop instructed me on was to change the order of the batteries in the bank every 6 months so that the first battery (that closest to and attached to the charging source output) becomes that last (furthest from the charging source) and each battery in the bank moves up one position. Rather a lot of work but if it preserves the batteries better, rather worth the effort I suspect.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook