SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Hannah sure ruffled some feathers!

IMO cruising does not mean living aboard. And someone living aboard does not necessarily "cruise". Hell, you can take 3 day "cruises" aboard a ship if you want.
I took this thread as asking why aren't more young people sailing. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Anyway, it's safe to say the world can't operate if the entire population took off in a boat to wander around the oceans and drink wine. There would be no balance.
The liveaboard-and-cruise'ers need those who are willing to give up that life they so desire or else wandering around the oceans while drinking wine would be dangerous. Think of all the nameless and faceless people who protect the waters and keep the thugs in line. And those earning a paycheck need the liveaboard-and-cruise'ers to keep a dream alive so they remain sane. We all depend on each other in the grand scheme of things.

You never know the obstacles other people are facing. Some may be working so they can buy their chemo to treat their cancer.
Perhaps they have a family member who is disabled. Is it an excuse or is it a reason for remaining on land to work and provide for that family member?
Or maybe they're trying to provide a lifestyle for someone they love, who they'd move heaven and earth to make that person happy. They'd rather be with that person than alone on a boat in the ocean.
Maybe they had plans to have a family and live life on the oceans, but their child was born with medical conditions requiring frequent medical care.

I think it's good to remember that we all wear different shoes. Some of those shoes were given to them without any other options. Some didn't have a choice to go buy the shoes they wanted.
We often make assumptions about people we're talking to as if they had the same choices we did when it's just not right.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook