SailNet Community - View Single Post - Things lost in the water
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road
Re: Things lost in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I will never forget dropping my pocket knife off the dock when I was a kid. Probably about 12 or 13. It was a Boy Scout logo folding pocket knife. By today's standard, it was junk. The blade did not lock open, so it was probably dangerous too. But I carried it everywhere with me, even to school, which I'm sure would be illegal today.

It was the first moment I recall feeling completely helpless and subject to a life sentence for my mistake. I still recall where I was and who was there. I even recall the explanation from my Father that the bottom was soft mud and murky, so diving for it was futile. I was crushed.

To this day, I keep floating fobs with small carabiners on them in the car to attach to keys when I'm at the marina.
not in the water but I lost a hunting knife my grandfather had given me when I started deer hunting. It was the second season I had it. my belt broke at some point during the day. as we were doing drives the knife could be anywhere. I have found a couple over the years that look just like it a antique shops and what not, but purchasing another just wouldn't be the same. you're right about the feeling you get of complete helplessness.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook