SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 stroke inboard
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: 2 stroke inboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
At least you don't have to mix oil with the diesel like you do with gas on gas 2 strokes.
Actually, diesel is basically kerosene with 4% oil.
When in Rarotonga I was offered as much free kerosene (jet fuel) as I could put in my tanks, because the drums had been stored wrong and some water had gotten in. Not a big problem for a diesel, but a HUGE problem for a jet engine, I guess. After some research, I found I could safely use it if I added 4 gallons of motor oil for every hundred gallons of diesel; scored 250 gallons of free fuel oil!
Also, I've never heard of a diesel, or a marine gasoline engine failing because of rough water and/or heel. Most "marine" diesels and gas engines have a sufficiently deep sump to handle the heel/roll as no boat stays all the way heeled all the time and the rougher, the more movement. Most engine failures in rough water are caused by fuel filters plugging up from dirty tanks.
Another reason not to adapt a stationary or auto engine to marine w/o knowing what one is doing.

Last edited by capta; 11-13-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook