SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is paint catalyst optional ?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is paint catalyst optional ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Like i said, what does the manufacturer recommend?

Seriously the manufacturers spend millions a year designing, testing, and evaluating coatings. Then they print labels, books, and users guides to explain how to get the best out of their products.

Why would you post a general question on a sailing forum about automotive paint, not include the name brand or type, and expect a better answer than what the manufacturer has created at great expense?
Stumble, chill out, I wasn't out to destroy your day or anything.

I asked because metal boats often use automotive paint for touchups, automotive paint isn't just for automobiles.

And like I said, it is sold in a paint can AND as a store packaged aerosol, so why would the manufacturer allow it to be sold as an aerosol without a catalyst if that wasn't really an option ? It seems to me that since the instructions on the tech sheet say catalyst, but the manufacturer also allows the option of having it packaged without a catalyst, that the catalyst might be optional, that belief reinforced by the fact that the shop guy said it was optional. It was just a question.

I didn't need to post the brand, etc, because I was just trying to find out if every paint that called for a catalyst needed it.

Again, calm down, it's just a question. If you don't want to answer, don't answer it, but since we have a lot of people on this forum who paint for a living I thought someone here might know.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook