SailNet Community - View Single Post - Conn. River to Maine
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope you have a good drysuit, as the weather will have the potential to be really quite nasty in early March. I would recommend getting this book, which is an excellent resource for pretty much your entire trip. Be aware that many marinas are either closed or offer much reduced services for the winter, as the season doesn't generally start until April 1.

I would also look to rent an EPIRB if you don't currently own one. BoatUS/West Marine has an EPIRB rental program that is fairly reasonably priced. Otherwise, you can buy an ACR GlobalFix GPS-integrated EPIRB for about $700. I'd also signup for BoatUS's TowBoat program... just in case.

I would also recommend that you do the first section as coastal hops, and get as familiar with the boat, how to reef the sails and how it is rigged as you can. Definitely want to take the Cape Cod Canal, versus going around the Cape. Once you're clear of the Cape, you could go straight up to Cundys Harbor, rather than coast hopping.

My guesstimate is that the trip is about 275 miles or so...by the most direct route, using the CCC. Winds along the southern coast of CT, RI, and MA, will probably be predominantly westerly, so you'll have that in your favor. A run to Buzzards Bay and the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal, and a beam reach up to Maine... if you're lucky.

Two major questions for you
—how many days were you planning to take to move the boat??? and are you going to have an experienced crew???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-12-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook