SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Nice to know the boat is what you expected and you are happy with it.

I have been out cruising (July, August and September) and only come home a month ago. I will gladly take the opportunity to sail with you and see how your boat sails. My boat is in Italy so no sailing fun till next Spring

Regards

Paulo
Excellent videos and looks like a lot of fun in different conditions. Some observations, if I may.

Looks from my perspective to be very casual racing indeed. Crew weight positioning is a bit off, with the bowman too often forward of the shrouds, for no apparent reason. Notice the crew doesn't hike very much, perhaps because there is no padding on lower lifelines. But more aggressive hiking and better weight placement will increase speed and performance, both upwind and downwind.

If my eyes are working properly, the headsail is on a furler and not a foil? Does this mean no headsail changes in different wind strengths, so that partial furling is the only option? Is this reflected in the boat's rating?

I only mention all this because I know nothing about the ZDAMEN racing program, but it just seems very mellow compared to what I am used to here in the U.S. On San Francisco Bay, it is aggressive hiking and constant weight adjustment in every class I've ever sailed on, in all conditions and even for "beer can" racing. And Long Island Sound is not much different, although we spend more time on the low side upwind, or on the high side trying to induce windward heel when sailing VMG downwind with A-sails.

Boat is really gorgeous, and it looks to me like Cascais is a superb place to sail. Need to put it on my list, ASAP.