SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flare guns for bluewater signalling...and defence
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Flare guns for bluewater signalling...and defence

Those plastic Orion guns aren't going to cut it offshore...so I'm looking for a more solid flare gun that perhaps could be used as a deterrent as well as a sturdy signalling device.

Carrying actual guns is problematic in most places, but this little idea, when combined with a flare gun, seems like a way to fire mace over 100 feet.

http://www.seasonshot.com/Home.cfm

Yes, it's a 12 gauge spice rack. "Cajun" or "mustard" might make quite an impression in certain less law-abiding parts of the world, with the added benefit that unlike firing a real flare into a boat full of machete-wielding bad guys, it won't blow up their boat.

Before you laugh, consider that this might make an ideal non-lethal weapon on deck. That and Slocum's tacks.

And I am not accessing my inner cowboy here. I have a wife and child and we want to circumnavigate and to go a little off the beaten track. I'm looking for something beyond a boat knife if confronted with unpleasant and ill-intentioned locals, not a counter to a bunch of AK-47s.

Anyway, what's a good flare gun that could conceivably take a 12 ga. shell without flying to pieces?

(I believe Pains-Wessex is likely the best choice for parachute flares and the like, but I'll hear opinions on those, too). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook