SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Smack, I keep forgetting about your actual experience level. What is telling is you refer to things like SAS attendance and ISAF compliance in the future tense. You even gone so far as offer curriculum changes (how to abandon your boat and be rescued) without having actually attended a seminar or have any practical experience. SAS is merely a seminar meant to augment an already established knowledge/ experience base and the ISAF Special Regulations is a pamphlet and check sheet. They by themselves, will not magically keep you from harm.

Your statement that you could join the SDR with your admitted lack of experience, but you will wait until you can qualify for the C1500 still indicates that you expect others to tell you (through their requirements) that you a ready for such a trip. Remember and learn from Regatta Dog’s unfortunate voyage – The Transpac has both the SAS and ISAF requirements and a lot more – actual inspections, resumes, drills etc. – And look what happened to them. Grasshopper, I will let you know when it is time for you to voyage on your own. But first, you must snatch this pebble from my hand…

The ISAF requirement for a successful rally is a spurious one. Nowhere has it been stated that the boats that had problems were not Cat 1 compliant. If you want to draw any wild conclusions, it should be that it is better to adhere to a strict schedule than let skippers decide themselves on the appropriate time to leave within an open ended window. Remember the C1500 had a single departure date and the SDR a suggested “window”. What is more important here is the fact that out of six vessels declaring emergencies including four boats with rudder problems and two dismasting’s, only two boats were ultimately abandoned. The sailors who were able to jury rig ought to be commended for their superior seamanship and not denigrated for having bad luck.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 11-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook