SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Christian- Your comments are greatly appreciated and clearly grounded in experienced good judgment. For present I'm not circumnavigating and expect I never will. I plain to do ocean passages in the context of a cruising lifestyle. For present have been doing 3-6d passages that involve multiple crossings of shipping lanes and dealing with fish boats, barges/tows, folks on charter boats and all the head aches of marine traffic. This clearly skews my thinking and suggests the need for radar/AIS etc.
The spot is a good idea. We have a 48h EPIRB on a bracket next to the ditchbag, a spot on my harness and a personal 24h epirb on the admiral's harness. Our thinking is the vast majorities of rescues occur within a day or two in the waters we travel -sometimes hours.
We have a raft in a built in box by the sugarscoop. It's light so she can deploy it. Our thinking is to only deploy it in case of uncontrolled fire or rapid sinking. We have beyond the supplies in the raft food/water/first aid supplies in the ditchbag.
But the boat is the thing. It has a watertight bulkhead forward and true set up for storm sails/Jordan series drogue. Its a strong well built boat that's comfortable in a seaway. We are learning in increments about our boat and ourselves. This year have done three 450m+ passages. Next year have two 750-1300m passages planed. We cruise with 2-4 people on board. We hope to ultimately to be able to do our passages with just two.
Problem I have is with folks not willing to accept the needed work on themselves and their boats and their equipment with the expectation- nothing will break, it will always be 10-20 on the aft quarter and if things get bad they can just call for help and bail out.
I don't see how any of the boats in the salty dawg fit that description.

Last edited by outbound; 11-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook