SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

youve done more than most ever will regarding their boat...my first big cruise was on my leaky wooden h28...no such thing as watertight anything on that boat! jajaaj did that stop me? no

(we only took epirb for example because it was a requirement for the baja ha ha rally from california to mexico)

95% cruisers dont ever add watertight bulkheads, most never add dedicated storm sails...etc..etc...

I cant tell you the amount of people that take 100 cases of toilet paper, and half of costcos supllies in food etc...instead of focusing on other stuff
honestly you cant learn to cruise coastal or offshore unless you start doing it, you do learn A LOT along the way...racing the learning curve is exponentially higher as you are taking everything to the limit and then some...

anyways...I like it when skippers and crew put more responsibilty on themselves than on gear and in some cases the boat

we used to run into A lot if cruisers who had the autopilot on LEAVING port for example...I mean seconds after hauling anchor...they had it all planned out to the T...that mentality is damaging and negligent...crusiing and even racing offshore is a delicate balancing act of COMPROMISE

cheers

sorry for the thread derail btw
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook