SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailboat and ferry collide!
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: sailboat and ferry collide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
..."Both women were placed on paid administrative assignment." Wow, what a deal; you'd not get that in a commercial road vehicle accident. Neither one should ever be allowed on a bridge again. Ain't it great to work for the state.
Much as people like to jump to conclusions and suggest they're getting off easy by not being fired right away, the fact is that they need to get due process before disciplinary action is taken. "Jumping the gun" and firing them right away would invite a wrongful termination suit for a variety of reasons. One reason would be lack of equity with others who got due process, and they might even win on that count.

The state has "deep pockets" and well documented regulations. For that reason, they are an attractive target for lawsuits, especially if they do not follow all their procedures by the book.

So by putting these two on administrative leave, the state is building their case methodically, in a way that ensures that whatever action they take will not get overturned by the courts.

From what has been disclosed so far, I would be very surprised if these people keep their jobs. I would not want to be in their position right now. Their cushy desk job is probably only temporary, and their careers are probably destroyed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook