SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulfstar 37 (1979)
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013

freedoman is on a distinguished road
Re: Gulfstar 37 (1979)

I've owned a 1979 Gulfstar 37 sloop for 23 years now and can reliably say that except for tight access to the engine room the vessel is well thought out and has served us well in all types of seas and weather. It's a roomy comfortable vessel with exceptional storage space due to it's 12' 9" beam that's carried aft almost to the stern. We've had to sail in 12' seas with wind gusting to 35 for ten hours from Nantucket, through Woods Hole and into Buzzards Bay to the Cape Cod Canal and she took it all well. That being said for heavy weather, it is by no means a dog in light air. I would recommend this boat to anyone. You'll feel safe and secure in most any weather and the wide beam carried aft allows not only for a longer waterline and higher computed hull speed, but offers a roomy main salon, head, V berth and storage below decks. The cockpti is wide, long and roomy as well. What convinced me on a Gulfstar at the time was that Ted Hood was the sole distributer for them in the NE when they were still being made by Gulstar in St Perersbug, Fl. We still sail it around Cape Cod and the islands and I often sail singlehanded. It's a very forgiving boat and will treat you well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook