SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prescription medicines for first aid kit
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I've finally spoken with a UK doctor and now have a prescription for the following things for the 1st aid kit:
1. Dicloflex - anti-inflammatory and analgesic
2. Scopoderm TTS - transdermal patch for seasickness relief (intended to be used in case of sickness, not as a prophylaxis)
3. Co-dydramol - paracetamol and dihydrocodeine tartrate based analgesic and anti-inflammatory
4. Flamazine - topical burn treatment and other skin infections
5. Amoxicillin - antibiotic. Penicillin based. The only drug with a limited shelf-life of < 1 year.
6. Malarone and Doxycycline - Antimalarial medicines. These two medicines are meant to be used separately (if at all) depending upon which malaria region I am in - since many strains are now resistant to one or the other drug. Not intended as a prophylaxis.

The medicine case contains a lot more elements that are OTC, but I won't list them all here since the subject has been covered in detail in other threads. The prescription drugs were chosen to cover as many possible conditions as possible while ensuring that their shelf-life in tropical conditions was sufficient for a lengthy voyage. All but the antibiotics have 3 year + shelf lives.

That covers the prescription drugs for the moment; but I don't feel that this is quite sufficient and am going to try to find a physician here who either sails or understands the issues involved when out to sea. Since England is so heavily populated I think that most doctors assume that help will be available within hours and not the days or even weeks that one might have to wait at sea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook