SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post
I've thought of this a bit lately and I don't think I understand the problem. WHY should raw excrement be such a big problem in landfills? As I understand it, they are built with heavy barriers underneath to keep from contaminating ground water (because, right or wrong, bad things are always going to be thrown in land fills). But, more than that, it seems to me that the half cooked compost recipe will be just as likely to continue cooking in a landfill as out of it, although perhaps slower (but maybe not...don't landfills get very warm, and doesn't the extra heat speed decomposition? Or does getting buried remove too much oxygen?).

Not having children, I also wonder what the recommendation would be for disposing of baby diapers, if the trash is not a good idea. And has millions upon millions of dirty diapers caused any kind of problem?

I think it was the c-head guy, but maybe someone else, who suggested "treating" the waste in a pickle bucket with bleach in order to legally be allowed to dump it. What are your views on this?

Not intending to be snarky, and these are serious questions. Leaving aside any legal restriction, I'm looking at the moral and ethical impact of dumping the waste.
yeah. I have to say I don't know what would be so terrible about t. it's crap. millions of animals and humans have crapped all over the globe. it's called fertilizer. farmers dump it in their fields to grow your food. it turns to dirt. it's not radioactive waste.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook