SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prescription medicines for first aid kit
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Hellosailor - you've added 2 negatives without a positive; it would be helpful if you were to offer alternatives.

I researched the alternatives to Amoxicillin and all have a short shelf life. The kit is mainly for me, and as I'm not allergic to penicillin I went for the amoxicillin. I asked for Azactam but they stated that I could only get one type of antibiotic; perhaps I can find that OTC somewhere else and have an antibiotic for those allergic to penicillin based pills.

Regarding Scop - I do not intend to use, or have any passenger use, the Scop as a prophylaxis; just as an emergency measure to reduce symptoms. The usual anti-seasickness medications are pills and are therefore useless by the time symptoms are bad enough to require medication. I don't like suppositories so the only alternative is transdermal which limits the choice to Scop. In addition, all the other active seasickness medications have as many and as severe reactions plus they induce more drowsiness than Scop. Also, if you actually read the clinical observations, the cases of psychotic behaviour are very, very rare and the symptoms all go away quickly after removal of the patch, unlike ingested medications where symptoms can last a long time. I don't see any alternative to the (very pricey) patches in this case, do you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook