SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prescription medicines for first aid kit
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Zanshin-
For me, Scop counts as "GOOD DRUGS!" and when our FDA took the oral caps off the otc market in the 80's, I actually placed a curse on the man who did that. Don't misread me as being negative about Scop, I would just say to be extremely careful about it under uncontrolled circumstances.
It is on the market as oral pills, brand name Scopace in the US. Much cheaper than the patches, much faster action. Easier to control the dosage. And, like most similar drugs, it works best as a prophylaxis, rather than after the fact. If you take it when someone says "I'm not feeling too good" it kicks in way better than after someone says "Ohhhh, I'm siiiiccckkk".
Most of the effective drugs for seasickness have some range of counterindications and IIRC none of them work for more than 1 in 3 customers. Sturgeron (cina-somethingorother) is supposed to be very effective, didn't work for me at all. Easily available in the UK I'm told. Ontologists often know more about these meds than anyone else, they are also used for the naseau produced in chemotherapy. There are a couple of other orals and suppositories (Compozine) as well. (And given the choice of being seasick or using a suppository, I think most of us would be glad to eagerly shove them in our ears and noses as well.)
I don't not to use Scop, just beware that it is a very serious drug, and that like Penecillin, it can save--or kill--equally effectively.

Antibiotics in the US and UK often have different brand names, I've no idea what you have available to you over there, or what your doctor would be familiar with. Azithromycin (Zithromax) is one of the more common ones in the US supposedly with a 3-year shelf life, also a bit expensive. Shelf life is one of the things no one wants to talk about, especially when you are supposed to only get what you need, when you need it, and then consume the full course. If you asked your doc for a short list of what he'd recommend as being broad-spectrum, strong, and relatively safe, and then researched the shelf lifes, that would probably give you a better way to start.
Or, the one-year shelf life you were quoted may be incorrect--apparently many pharmacies in the US simply use one year as the "throw away" time for anything they have in stock.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook