SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
If you have a Mayday you should use all means to your disposal to alert SAR. On a Pan Pan you cannot use an Epirp or an automatic emergency VHS signal.

The question with some boats in this Rally is not that but to know if they had a Pan Pan situation or a Mayday, even if they started a Mayday.
I agree with you. I think this is a critical distinction that should be studied/discussed in these SDR cases. Were Maydays correctly called? Again, I haven't seen enough first-hand info to know one way or the other - but on the surface of it, it seems 5 Maydays were called when some of them maybe should not have been (back to the point of how sailors handle emergencies).

Compare that to the story of the injured crew in the C1500 (linked above) - and how that was handled by the skipper/race-coordinator/USCG - and you see a clear difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-15-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook