SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Paulo, we're talking about setting out from a point north of Cape Hatteras, in November... 25 knots of breeze is about the MINIMUM of what one can reasonably expect to encounter at some point on that passage, and if 30 knots is the most you ever see on that run, you're been very fortunate, indeed... Many of the best weather windows for that trip will often include such weather early on, and any sailor who expects they will somehow manage to avoid such conditions during the course of that voyage is delusional :-)

....)
I understand and agree with what you say but are you not exaggerating a bit?

They left knowing that the prevision over the gulf stream was 25K and with that prevision I would say that gusts of 40K were to be expected.

If they had departed today at 6.0AM they would have passed all the Stream Golf area with a prevision 15/20K with the wind on the right direction. I know it is a difficult area but I don't think that they had a lot more problems this year than than in other years just by accident but because they set sail with a forecast worse than in other years. As I have saying they could have waited for a better window or someone could have chosen a better window for them even if that means waiting a lot.

This has been a bad year and some offshore races in Europe had been postponed for 15 days waiting for a better window and those were racing sailors, many professionals, not cruisers.

Gusting 40K is a lot different than gusting 30K, at least where I sail

sailing america north atlantic usa-northeast coast wind (gfs) + 3 utc

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-15-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook