SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advise to those moving aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Advise to those moving aboard?

I can''t resist this. There is nothing in my profile, other than heading south via ICW and cruising the Bahamas that would indicate just what level of sailing experience I''ve had...but FYI, I''ve been boating since 1957 and sailing sloops since 85, mostly NE coast.Cruised the Virgins and Bahamas. My Navy vet Dad put me on the water early. Have I lived aboard for more than a few months? No. Big blue water? No. If there are tests to pass for various levels of knowledge, please let "newbies" like aasault and I know.

Now, maybe dancy is reacting to my profession. Well, there are a lot of professors I don''t like. They are snooty, filled with self-importance, know-it-alls...
not the kind you''d call mates.

I, probably like many, find knowledge about sailing from any source I can locate. Often the information provided by old-salts conflicts. But you can learn something from nearly anybody. I think I can learn about near-shore waves from a surfer (right aasault?) Hell, I could probably even learn something from BigRed...aarh...let me think about that one.

It''s not the term newbie its the spin behind the delivery that''s irksome. Lighten-up Dancy, you might even learn something from these hideous, ignorant, newbies. My God,it
just struck me, if Dancy hasn''t surf''d or sailed the islands...that makes him a newbie.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook