SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I don't see anything inherently wrong with the enclosures. Maybe more of it depends on the sailor than the setup.

Remember, Michael had a full enclosure (and dinghy on davits) on his Hunter 45 as they weathered the F10-11 off Cape Horn:

Sequitur

So maybe it's not the boat.
Smack, obviously a big enclosure like the one on the boat posted by Jon or on the boat you have post has not any inconvenient only at the marina and even so if the wind is not very strong.

I know that Michael circumnavigate with one even if I kike improbable that he did not take it down with a F11. If he did not he should have to maximize his changes of coming out of it without problems.

It has to do with physics and boat design:

A big enclosure makes for a much bigger windage with all inconvenient windage has and in what regards a breaking wave it offers a much bigger and higher surface to the wave giving it a much bigger potential to roll the boat.

In practical terms and considering sailing with one on it is has if the boat has that shape and surface in solid materials. That would make for a very ugly sailboat but it is not for that reason that you don't see sailboats with hugely high cabins covering all the boat but with many other reasons that have to do with boat performance, safety and efficiency.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook