SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Offshore Foulies?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
For a PFD/Harness, the one I use everyday is a Spinlock Deckware Pro harness/PFD. Unfortunately, at least when I bought mine, it wasn't USCG approved yet.... but it is SOLAS approved. Unlike most other PFD and harness combinations, the harness on the Spinlock is extremely easy to get in and out of and very easy to adjust to various thicknesses of clothing. It also comes with a few things that are really a requirement for a bluewater PFD—thighs straps, so you can't fall out the bottom; a safety whistle; a strobe; and most importantly, a sprayhood. The sprayhood helps keep you from drowning in heavy seas, by protecting your face.

They have a newer design out called the Deckvest, but I like the older one better. The Deckvest has less buoyancy (150N vs. 180N) and the leg straps are optional.
My, what a little tank you are, Sir! I'm built like a soccer hooligan, and I take 18 1/2"! But I'll check out the Musto gear. I get them confused a bit with Mustang, which is not the same thing at all.

Not American, and don't care about USCG approval. I find they are about five years behind the curve anyway, as befits their governmental origins. SOLAS is the gold standard, and that's good enough for me. That Spinlock gear is unlike anything else I've seen outside a rockface-supply store. I wanted at least a crotch strap with any harness I bought (I just have a brutal old Likiris at the moment, with a Wichard tether, both past their prime), because I fear going over and *inverting*, surely not an ideal scenario if the boat's making seven knots... If the D-ring can "hang high" the odds of that to my mind are greatly reduced.

I'll check it out. I like their deck hardware, but I had no idea they made harnesses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook