SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Of course, for all other races a conventional design will do well, provided the top guys don't all show up in scows.
Hum, I guess you did not understood. The bath tube bow does not have been able to win anything except the Transat. There are plenty of other races and a rating based on victories and top classifications on all races, kind of a championship. The first bath tub boat (Pedote) comes only in 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Meanwhile, looking at the latest position chart, Pedote played it pretty much like I suggested yesterday. As his pursuers had to eventually gybe onto port and come back east, he used his leverage to come back on starboard into the stronger breeze (although it is getting lighter as the fleet approaches the Azores, and perhaps we'll see some compression by tomorrow morning). But he has maintained a > 45nm lead over Boidevezi and, at the last update, was going 3.4 knots faster. Indeed, he was the fastest boat in the race over that time period (though Simon Koster is sailing the hell out of his Series boat, only 0.9 knots slower than Pedote - amazing!).
If you play the race back on the bottom cursor you will see that what I have said is true: Boidevezi 28 hours ago was at 46.7nm and now it is at 45.8nm. Boidevezi is the only one that is not losing to Pedote.

The speeds on this case have not the relevance that have on the Jaques Vabre site. There you have an average speed of 2hours and average of 24hours, here you have the instantaneous speed measured when they made the actualization.

Regarding the two boats the difference of speed as to do with them being about 48nm apart and not receiving the same wind. It will be sometimes worse for Pedote sometimes better but given the very similar speed potential of the two boats and the relatively small difference between them I believe that among those two the winner will be the one that it plays better routing.

By the way, Boidevezi is sailing an "old" boat a 2008 one, designed by Etienne Bertrand. Boidevezi is only on 22th on that overall ranking and that seems to show that is boat is not very well suited for other conditions except the ones you find on a transat, meaning downwind sailing.

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-ŕ-Pitre

The minis make a lot of races each year, more than a dozen, having a boat only able to win one of them, even if it is the more important, makes not much sense and that's why there are not a lot of bath tub bow boats.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook