SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Yes, the solution to pollution is dilution. That doesn't make the material in question less toxic. It just dilutes it to the point of being inconsequential. Human waste is a toxic mash (toxic to humans), but it can be diluted down to a benign concentration. This is true of any toxic substance. And yes, if only a few people dump their crap into the landfill, then it won't be a problem.

But I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. If you're within reach of a modern landfill you are also within reach of proper human sewage disposal. Why not just dump your crap into a toilet?

BTW, I own and use a composting toilet; a Nature's Head. I love it. Have no problems with it. Dump your crap into the toilet if you have to dump in an urban area. Better still, dump it out at sea, or in a remote dugout on land. I'm not sure what all the huffing and puffing is about.
my point was, way back when this little side discussion began, a statement was made that alleged that any amoungt of human waste to enter the landfill was to be avoided because it would taint the water table. it was like that little pot of crap was worse than nuclear waste, or something. i had just responded to that, trying to put a little perspective back into a discussion that had taken the turn towards the chicken little factor.

by the way, thanks for the input about the nature's head. i am seriously thinking about a compsting head on this cal 27 and i am glad for all the input i can get. the world of boat bathrooms is a new one for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook