SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Maybe where you live but not here - Victoria B.C. Canada. We sell holding tanks from about 129 for a small (6 gallons) to much larger - 30 gallon under 300. There are about 20 or so different sizes. These are thick walled tanks designed as holding tanks though many use them for water. These prices include 3 spun in fittings in the locations the buyer chooses. Vented loops are in the 25 dollar range for 1 1/2" and less for 3/4". The hose (Premium sanitation) runs from about 8 to 11 per foot. The deck fitting is under 30 - same as a water or diesel fill with a different name on it. Y valves are not necessary. If everything goes into the tank it is less likely to turn into hard to remove cement, especially for those who only use the boat on weekends. From the tank to the deck outlet and another outlet to the seacock for overboard pumpout either with an electric macerator or a manual diaphram pump, either bought for under 150.

There is another even simpler and less expensive way if space allows - a gravity tank. The tank has to be above the waterline and behind the head is the best place. The deck pumpout fitting should be directly above the seacock but this isn't absolutely necessary - it does allow easy clearing it the seacock becomes restrictive, but people using this system rarely have this problem. Everything goes into the tank. If offshore the seacock is left open. If inshore it remains closed and you can either pumpout as normal or open the valve offshore where it is legal. You do not need a large boat for this, just some space in the correct place. It fits on my CS27 fine and I know of several Vega 27 owners with gravity tanks that they are very happy with.
i am interested in that possibility. do you have diagrams of this system or links to such information. presently, i am really thinking of going composting, but the price may be too prohibative. maybe your option might be a more financially viable option.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook