SailNet Community - View Single Post - Robert Redford, Sailor
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Re: Robert Redford, Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
I really liked the movie. I like movies that make me think. I agree with Lillia28. Discovering the back story is really fun to do. After a couple of the unrealistic things that occur earlier in the movie, I checked myself from whispering NOOO!! in my wife's ear, and decided to just let that part go.

If you don't, you will drive yourself crazy.

SPOILER AHEAD
So.. did you notice that when he opened the sextant, there was a card inside? And he didn't read it? How come? My speculation is that the sextant was a gift from family, as described above, and that he didn't want to be reminded that he had messed up and not even learned how to use such a valuable gift.. He was ashamed.

Interestingly to me, is that when my father left on his circumnavigation in the late 1980s, he didn't want to bother with a sextant. So we bought him one. He never learned to use it.

SPOILER ENDING

The movie is full of wonderful things. But you have to reach for them, and not let the inaccuracies drive you crazy. Besides, it's less of an issue when he's in the life raft
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started wondering if it was a birthday present, a Christmas present or a going away present, but then I slapped my self. The way he tosses the card aside after the briefest hesitation says volumes, at least to me! I hope your Dad's circumnavigation went better than Our Man's!
Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook