SailNet Community - View Single Post - converting a furling headsail to a hanked on headsail
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
The first thing you should do is get a quote from a sailmaker as to the cost of adding hanks, and recutting the luff if necessary. I would think you may find the cost of retrofitting to hanks would cover a large part of the purchase of a new sail. Depending on the age and quality of the sail you have, you might be better off buying new.

As to the issues mentioned above, you need to figure out whether the sail was built originally for roller furl, or converted from hanks...if not built for roller furling, the other issues are moot.
I've done this to several lightly used, composite tape-luff racing sails that would have otherwise gone into the bin (some racers chuck them if they have the slightest sag...). I've literally downloaded the foretriangle numbers for my existing boat and approached racers and politely inquired whether they had "any old sails they wanted to get rid of". Most did, and surprisingly, I've scored fresh Dacron sails that were used for half a season and then stowed in favour of Kevlar/Mylar, etc. race sails ten years back.

As I cruise, I don't bother having them recut, as the draft and foot and hoist is usually very close to my existing measurements. Converting them to hanks cost me $135 for a No. 3, $150 for a No. 1 and $250 for a composite mainsail, which did require about a five inch cut, plus some different slugs.

I don't race this boat, so I don't care about the ratings. I only know that I have a significantly better suit of sails for $500 than my previous 20 year old blown-out buggers. You tell me if she's sailing well.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook