SailNet Community - View Single Post - USPS Courses--Issues
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
USPS Courses--Issues

USPS offers pretty much the basic material that a sailor needs in order to get from point A to point B. This should be the starting point however and form the basis for a truly rewarding sailing experience. I have taken some of their courses as refreshers and founf that the quality of instructors, dedication and wealth of experience is difficult to find any where else. Their "Make Shore, Make Sure" is a wonderful introductory program to boating--particularly for parents and children. Their navigation texts on piloting, dead recokning and celestial navigation are well written and easy to understand. As one responder stated GPS is mostly intuitive and with any computer experience one can get very familiar with any of the modern units very quickly. I have all the modern electronic devices aboard my vessel but when offshore (and some times just as an abundance of caution ie. anticipated fog}I will run a DR track, a Loran Position track and a GPS track. Its fun to see how close you can come and how accurate the electronics are when compared to each other'' For extra measure I sometimes throw in a noon position, just so the skills don''t get too rusty. PS--I am not a member of the Power Squardon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook