SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard,Bluewater,Coastal- Who''s the better sailor?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
Live Aboard,Bluewater,Coastal- Who''''s the better sailor?

I just have to add my own warped view here. Firstly are we talking about what makes the best "sailor" or "seaman"? I remember a story from Newport Calif. A sailor in the 30''s would sail single handed up to the Newport Yacht club to play tennis. He would step of his sloop onto the dock and let the vessel sail off by itself. By the time his match was done, he would meet his sloop coming back to the dock. If true he was a good sailor.
I humbly, love to tune my sailboat to the prevailing winds and waves so that it sails itself with the minimun input from me. I see the most astonished looks from passing sailors when they see me with my hands off the tiller while they are fighting theirs.I also love to go out when most are coming back, sail on full canvas when others are reefing. People here call me a great sailor. But this had very little to do with qualifing for a Master''s license. I have brought my fishing vessel back asking the Almighty only that my body not wash up on shore because people who knew me would be so angry that I was out when they thought I should not. So am I a good sailor, or a good seaman? I''ve known both that did not come back.
I sail to or just beyond my ability so that I can learn. I take no risks when I have passangers. I love the sea and take it for what it is, the ultimate challenge.
Just my warped view...JEF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook