SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wooden Schooner
Thread: Wooden Schooner
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Wooden Schooner

Sure I have comments. (Just in time, my two acre lot needs mowing badly since it hasn''t been cut since October.) First of all, this is not a schooner. She is a Ketch with a galf rigged mainsail and bermuda rigged mizzen. She is a big version of the Hanna Gulfweed.

Hanna is a very complicated designer to classify. He was known for his extremely heavy wooden boats. They were aimed at home boat builders as cheap to build, go anywhere boats. They were typically built with pine planking (very strong and cheap) with galvanized iron fastenings (also strong and cheap). They were mostly constructed over heavy single or double sawn frames.

From a naval architecture stand point they were the last hurrah for a design genre that derived from cargo vessels evolved from vessels in use since Biblical times. These were massively solid and bulksome craft. They made Atkin''s Eric (which became the Westsail 32) and Ingrid (which became the Alajuella 37) seem light and fleet.

Hanna was best known for his near sister designs, the Gulfweed and Tahiti ketches. In the years before fiberglass, multitudes of these solid little craft wandered to distant ports. Today they represent a much simpler and more innocent time.

I''ll replace the sparkplugs in my lawn motor.

Regards,
Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook