SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a mooring or slip in California.
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a mooring or slip in California.

500 a ft. So you don't say "I've got a 30 foot boat". You buy the lease to a 45 foot mooring. So they are around $25,000?

How risky is it? Say you bought one. Can the harbor take it back because thy don't like you and you are left with nothing?

Do you think it is hard to get the liveaboard permit? I have to call harbor resources to get that info, but a lot of time it's better to get the lowdown from locals like yourself. Do you see any liveaboards out there? I would be the low key, quiet type with a nice boat I actively sail weekly. Not just a floating home.

It just sounds like it could be so great. Living in Newport Beach, taking trips to baja and Catalina. Up to Santa Barbara. Taking my dinghy out to the avenues to surf or bodyboarding the wedge. After the initial payment for the boat and mooring. Loving for the couple hundred a month would be a great life.

I cruised a bit last summer. Sometimes I stayed in a marina and sometimes I anchored. But when I got a mooring ball in friday harbor,
That was the way to live. It's far enough away that your neighbors aren't right next to you. A nice level of privacy. But without the worry about leaving it at anchor while you go to shore if its windy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook