SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advise needed on dealing over price
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Advise needed on dealing over price

My best advice is top avoid boats coming out of charter, especially one that has been in charter for that long a period. Charter boats in the Carribean really take a beating. My experience with boats that come out of charter is that they generally need some combination of: New sails, galley equipment (stove&refrigeration) standing and running rigging, engine rebuild or replacement, ground tackle and dock lines, canvas work, instrument upgrades, replacement or rebuild of undersized, out of date, or damaged deck hardware, steering syrtem rebuilds, upholstery, and a wide range of aesthetic and finish issues.

Most (but not all by any means) of the folks that have bought boats out of charter, that I have had personal contact with, have spent far more buying and putting these boats into a condition equivilent to a reasonably well maintained private yacht, than they would have just buying one from a private owner.

$94000 is way to high for a former charter boat in the Carribean that you in California would need to commission in the Carribean and then bring to where ever you planned to be. Your $80K offer is pretty much spot on for the circumstances.

One minor point, I am friends with quite a few brokers and surveyors. At least here on the Chesapeake the boat market is still really quite strong with good clean boats going for very close to their asking prices. I just a couple weeks ago heard of a bidding war on a Tartan 34 that took it above its asking price.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook