SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a mooring or slip in California.
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a mooring or slip in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
500 a ft. So you don't say "I've got a 30 foot boat". You buy the lease to a 45 foot mooring. So they are around $25,000?
Moorings, I believe, are 35, 40, 45, 50, 60 feet and up. I saw a 40' mooring last summer sell for $10k.

Currently they are listed for sale from $15 - $25k depending on the location. ($500/ft for a 40' mooring would be $20k right).

I'm sure all the prices are negotiable. Some have boats on them, some don't. Every situation is different. There are moorings that people have owned for 40+ years and have just kept them in the family. So for "losing" a mooring, unless your boats is a hazard or you have frequent loud parties on it, I don't think you are in danger of losing it. BTW, there are PLENTY of moorings with POS's hanging on them. Although a shame, not illegal to neglect maintenance in Newport. Having said that, they are owned by the City, so prices can rise or things can change.

For a liveabord permit: I don't believe it is hard as long as the location is not too crowed or too close to homes. For instance my can is on the north side of Balboa Island. There are only two cans to a row and they are comparitively close to homes. I don't think that there are liveaboards near me. However a few hundred feet up the channel, it widens to three cans per row and is next to a small marina, I believe there are liveaboards there.

Newport has several mooring fields. Field H and J are large fields with 10 or 12 per row and they have a lot of liveaboards there. It is also where many marine companies keep their work boats. Mooring fields B. D and G are smaller 2-3 per row fields and closer to homes, not many liveaboards. Mooring field A is a large field and is closer to the harbor entrance and has more liveaboards. Not as desirable an area though (for me at least).

The harbor really does have something for everyone. If I were to liveaboard, I would look at H field. Currently, I've seen moorings for sale in the $15 -$18k range. Not too bad considering a 40' slip would run you about $1100/mo. H field is next to the American Legion, which I'm a member of, and they have a yacht club you can join if you are a member of the Legion. There is a pump out station there as well as a courtesy dock. But that's me, you might have other needs.

Check out Google Earth, you can get a pretty good feel for the area that way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to GMFL For This Useful Post:
northoceanbeach (11-17-2013)