SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a mooring or slip in California.
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a mooring or slip in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
where do you think you are going to park a car and/or store your dinghy while on land? I think that could get VERY expensive, very fast in newport beach.

Also, the habor department people are just total dicks I'd look anywhere BUT newport/dana point (same sherrif dept)
BTW, this is a typical response from someone who really doesn't know much about the city.

Newport just expanded/renovated all of it's public docks and added a new one. Dingy tie ups are allowed for up to 24 hours at all of them, and I believe, there is a 72 hour limit on a couple of them. Some are used more than others so you may have to do an initial hunt for a regular dock to use, but it shouldn't be too hard. The last few times I've tied up overnight, I was the only boat there. It is November though.

Parking in Newport isn't bad either, if you're in the know. If you are at H field, you would be parking on the peninsula. A yearly pass for MOST meters in the city is $100. You wouldn't want to move your car on a busy weekend though. For other fields, parking would be free, you just need to move for the street sweeper.

As for the Harbor Patrol, they are Sheriffs. Their job is to be a dick to people, not a job I would like. Having said that, I've had mostly good experience with the Harbor Patrol office people. Never had to deal with the guys on the boats but I always wave as I pass them and they do the same.

I've heard stories about the harbor patrol but it's always about a "friend's brother from Irvine" who had the issues with them.

Just sayin'. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook