SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Keeping a boat in the Carib

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
Anyone have any info on the in and outs of keeping a boat in the Carib? Dollars and cents, administrative problems, etc.

#3 ·
Matt-

Garbage in ---> Garbage out... very vague questions get less than useful answers... depends on where in the Carib, what size boat, etc....

#4 ·
Sorry

OK OK, I get the point. The boat is a 38 foot monohull, 5.5 foot draft. Would be interested in the BVI as a starting point. What are the storage options and costs (on the hard v. marina slip v. mooring) What services are available for boat maintenance while I'm not there (i.e. somebody to keep and eye on it, run the engine periodically, etc) . Other issues are registration (the boat is currently USCG documented), local taxes. Hopefully that is sufficient information to get a reasonble start on research. Matt

#5 ·
Matt,

I have a boat in the BVI. If you want marina dockage, calculate ~10$/month per foot and another $100 for gardiennage. A foreign boat would need an annual sticker plus a national parks sticker (prices are on the web, I don't know them since mine is BVI registered).
Several places offer storage on the hard during the hurricane season. The Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor has an interesting system for people who are gone for long periods, their storage costs on the hard include 2 or 3 free haulouts/ins; just call a couple of days in advance and your boat will be floating in the marina awaiting your return.

#6 ·
Sounds like giving the Virgin Gorda Yatch Harbor might be a good start. I bet their on-the-hard storage is much cheaper than having it in the water... and probably not much less convenient. Also, storing on the hard maybe a good deal less wear and tear on the boat.

#8 ·
Since I will be in the caribean later this year until further notice, what is the charge for a haulout in the BVI ?

#9 ·
At Virgin Gorda..here are the rates:
Haul Out
Marine Travelift, 90ft long, and 10 ft draft
Haul, scrape, pressure spray, chock & launching (Up to 55ft $10.00 per foot) (56Ft and over-$12.00 per ft) Additional charge for heavy growth $2.00 per foot Travel lift time (1/2 hr mm) $175.00 per hour Moving chocks at owner's request $1.00 per foot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.