SailNet Community - View Single Post - Double Spinn Sheets
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002

davidk is on a distinguished road
Double Spinn Sheets

For Jeff H

I am talking about a Classic 8 and these were/are traditional long keels ... well a classic ''metre'' boat shape, so like a small classic 12. Bear in mind the Straight 8s are around 47'' LOA and only abt 8'' in the beam. (Ours is actually an 8CR - cruiser racer - only 42'' LOA and infact a yawl - but still measures as an 8 - don''t ask !)

I''m sure the modern 8''s that are dry sailed and travel the world are again smaller versions of modern 12''s, so that is where you get the fin and skeg idea. If you want to find out about classic 8''s you should look at the Finnish 8 metre association site which is in English, mostly, and v informative.

Thanks all, for the double guy and sheet dissertations - extremely useful and your efforts much appreciated. You have added plenty of useful detail.

The boat is not a reproduction but a rebuilt original! Meaning the lead keel and wooden keelsom remain original, and the shape comes from the original hull. (The hull was jacked back to designed shape with the aid of laser levellers etc., and the 120 laminated new ribs could then be shaped into the old planking before it was discarded and replanked. The designer was Knud Reimers (Danish but mostly worked in Sweden. It may have been after 1954 that he died, but it was soon after the boat was launched in 1954. He designed many 8 metres and a few of them were CRs
The 8 Metre Cruiser/Racer was something of a rarity, as far as I know only about 20 were built world-wide and then mostly by McGruer in Scotland. Ours is unusual in that she is rigged as a Yawl with a cutter foretriangle. Only one other Yawl was built and that was Reimersí own boat, Hazard III, that he sailed in the USA and hence was optimised to the American Rule. Our boat was optimised to the RORC rule and built in Dun Loghaire, Ireland

I''ve just discovered you can''t paste pictures here which is a pity. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook