SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sedna 30 / Viko 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubota View Post
You have recently posted about Viko 30s. I have seen this boat on a show this weekend, and didn't like it at all-cockpit is large, but uncomfortable, poorly finished, narrow interior, irregular step height in companionway... Nothing impressed me on the boat.

Rather than Viko I prefer Sedna 30 which I own, and which has been posted on this thread. The price is similar, build quality much better and I really enjoy its sailing performance-just an interesting sailboat My boat is a centerboarder with an outboard engine, so my minimal draft is around 50cm (needed here in Poland-we have some channels with minimum depth of 60cm) I can lay my mast horizontally without any help, to get under the bridge. They can be equipped with a fixed keel as well.

Well, maybe you should have sailed the boat to be impressed

In fact the Sedna 30 is a mainstream cruiser that can be compared with the Delphia 31 not with the Viko 30 that is a performance cruiser. Performance cruisers have always less interior space and are less "fat" than performance cruisers therefore for the same size normally they have a better cruising interior.

The Sedna 30 has displacement of 3600kg. The Viko has a displacement of 2750kg, the Sedna has a upwind sail area of 42.7m2 the Viko 30 a sail area of 46.50m2.

This indicates that the Viko would be a much faster boat and also one with a superior RM. The Sedna 30 has more ballast but it is almost all on the bottom of the boat while almost all ballast on the Viko is on a bulb, a lifting one or a fixed one and finally the Viko manages to be less expensive even if normally performance boats are more expensive.

It is normal that you like more your boat. The boats are not pointed to the same kind of sailors. You don't see anything interesting on the Viko and I bet that the ones interested in the Viko would not see nothing interesting in your boat

Different priorities: The ones that will prefer the Sedna will want a boat with a maximized interior in what regards cruising, including height, space and amenities. The ones that will prefer the Sedna will want a cruising boat with maximized performances and for that they will trade a smaller and less comfortable interior, but certainly a lighter one.

If we look to both boats they will clearly show the differences (first the Sedna then the Viko):

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook