SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pros and cons of steel sailboats

909K views 5K replies 127 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about making the leap from fiberglass to steel for our next sailboat. We want to do some far flung cruising - maybe even circumnavigate. Our present boat is a 1977 Tartan 37 and while we love it - since we've had a child and possibly will have another one on the way it might get a bit small for a liveaboard situation.
This summer I drove a big, old steel tour boat around the finger lakes and started thinking that steel might be a good way to get my family around the big marble.
I've spent a week in the Caribbean on a glorious aluminium boat but have never sailed a steel one, so I have lots of questions about their performance as cruising boats?
What are some of the better designers to keep and eye out for?
How good are they in the hot climates?
Are there any extra dangers in lightning?
Thanks for any and all advice you can give.

#4,765 ·
Out:
No, but if you come inshore too far you have a lot of crab pots top deal with. It is resally a tough race. The coast of Washington is not So cal. They call it the "Graveyard of the Pacific" and for good reason.

I ma happy my mighty ICON won. Makes me feel alright.

I think Brent must have been flicked. What's up with that?

#4,769 ·
Sadly another sailboat sunk, although this happened last December and thankfully both crew where rescued, you maybe interested in this one Bob.....She was made out of steel.....

| what's left of a life

peterpowell.ca - Home

#4,771 ·
Unfortunately steel itself (just like kevlar and anything else) is no panacea against sinking. I interviewed a doctor I worked with who's steel boat sunk 3 days Easy of Hawaii after a collision with some unknown object. He even had an engine driven bilge pump, but to no avail, and the boat went down.

Steel can break up and sink too.

MedSailor

#4,770 · (Edited)
Okay - Brent Swain is pathetic. The guy is despicable. Why? Look at his words from his origami site:

Tried to give steel boat information on sailnet, but some wierd old guy named Perry started using the steel boat discussion to post pictures of his personal obsesion, little boys , (which I am sure other old wierdos, who are into little boys appreciate) He was getting disgusting . So I gave up on that site. At least here we stick to steel boat related questions. People with steel boat questions can always can find me here
This little man is a complete coward and a liar. The above post of his proves that completely. Just look through this thread and see if you can find ANYTHING to back up Brent's clear defamation of Bob. How anyone could believe a single word that comes from his mouth is beyond me. Zero honor. Zero integrity.

If this very popular thread does nothing else for the world, let it show that Brent Swain is undoubtedly the biggest con of steel sailboats out there. Hands-down.

You want a steel sailboat? Fine. Are you willing to bet your life on a lowlife like this? If you are, you're an idiot.

#4,780 ·
Congratulations, Bob and Kim..

Sorry about Marty. Sometimes he gets a bit silly. Yes, he does work very hard, but he does look out for my boat, so it's all good.

I will take another opportunity to brag about my family:

These pictures were taken during the Race to the Straits last weekend. We finished in the middle of the pack on Saturday, and bailed on the race Sunday, which had quite a bit of carnage involved.

It's a double-handed race, and my wife's second race... About 10 minutes after those pictures were taken, I was asking my wife to release the spinnaker sheet, which was underwater at the time.

A brave and forgiving woman!

P.S.... Is the second photo a good example of hull speed? :)

#4,782 ·
Marty is just fine with me. Some of his humor does take some interpriting. But I think some of mine does too.
He hasn't been around for a day or so, but methinks Marty is poking fun at Brent's implied suggestions that steel is tougher than fibreglass because it can survive running into things... without pics to prove it.

Bob, perhaps you need to be at least part-Aussie to get the joke.. :cool: :)

#4,784 ·
I just did a Google on origami boats and discovered that even other origami builders/promoters are trashing Brent, his claims and his lack of any sort of credentials.

I does seem like his customers like him and his processes though.

#4,786 · (Edited)
Yes I was having a bit of phun with the ferry crashing into FL. Pictures if I can get them posted would show it was a fun phonomonem < dang speel checker will not help me with the word I want....

Was EAST bound on BB ferry to seattle, west bound cam between FL and myself. Fl was there in the pics, then gone, and back up and alive! Yes, would be a fun set of pics...... Heck, the dang ferry took out blakely rock too! and two or three other boats, all were floating back up again a few moments later..........

Kim, are you out racing again tomorrow night? Was on a LATE ferry last week, think the 5:30 or there abouts, usually on the 4:30 or 3:50 if real lucky!

Oh, I do not drink too much or often........unless it is a Dr P! no alchohol, altho a vino, good amber beer is good. Opening day weekend they were giving my vodka shots......do not do well with 4 of them things!

Marty

now if I can get this link to work, my fun the weekend Dave and spouse were doing race to straights....

#4,788 ·
Hello everyone! I typically wouldn't use some random thread to introduce myself to a forum but I've been lurking on this site for a couple years and reading this particular thread from the beginning for the last couple of days.

Anyway, my plans are to finish up some financial obligations, graduate my last kid from high school in June of 2017, and set sail. Been pretty hungry for it for the last 2-3 years so I'm not 100% certain I'll last 3 more years but that's the goal/plan. In all likelihood, I'll buy a boat in the next 12 months and start doing mini cruises and 3 day weekend trips. Anyway...

I don't know exactly what's transpired on this thread lately as I finally stopped reading about 100 pages ago and just jumped to the end. It's nice to see from the last couple of pages however that this thread is at least consistent with the input, contributing members, and general tone. That's really why I chose to finally register.

I was going to give some observation on tone, ganging up and squaring off, and the impression of general bullying but on second thought, I won't. I'll just say that the vast majority of cruisers I've met (both online and in person) seem like amazing and welcoming people. With that said, I found a lot of the posts in this thread kind of surprising. Not because I'm thin skinned (I'd like to think that with almost a decade of combat experience, I'm anything but soft/delicate) but just because a lot of it seemed kind of cheap, petty, and very personal. -In my honest opinion-

Well, with all that said... hi everyone! I look forward to many more years of lurking and learning on this site as I know I'll probably have very little practical input seeing as how I have very little hands on experience with small cruising sailboats (practically zero compared to present company!)

#4,790 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I typically wouldn't use some random thread to introduce myself to a forum but I've been lurking on this site for a couple years and reading this particular thread from the beginning for the last couple of days.

Anyway, my plans are to finish up some financial obligations, graduate my last kid from high school in June of 2017, and set sail. Been pretty hungry for it for the last 2-3 years so I'm not 100% certain I'll last 3 more years but that's the goal/plan. In all likelihood, I'll buy a boat in the next 12 months and start doing mini cruises and 3 day weekend trips. Anyway...

I don't know exactly what's transpired on this thread lately as I finally stopped reading about 100 pages ago and just jumped to the end. It's nice to see from the last couple of pages however that this thread is at least consistent with the input, contributing members, and general tone. That's really why I chose to finally register.

I was going to give some observation on tone, ganging up and squaring off, and the impression of general bullying but on second thought, I won't. I'll just say that the vast majority of cruisers I've met (both online and in person) seem like amazing and welcoming people. With that said, I found a lot of the posts in this thread kind of surprising. Not because I'm thin skinned (I'd like to think that with almost a decade of combat experience, I'm anything but soft/delicate) but just because a lot of it seemed kind of cheap, petty, and very personal. -In my honest opinion-

Well, with all that said... hi everyone! I look forward to many more years of lurking and learning on this site as I know I'll probably have very little practical input seeing as how I have very little hands on experience with small cruising sailboats (practically zero compared to present company!)
Welcome to SN STC. You'll like the place.

And remember, there's one reason and one reason only this thread went the way it did. And cheap and petty pretty much nails the guy.

And hey Mark! Good to see you back 'round.

#4,789 ·
I used to be in this thread a LOT because it was the most fun to watch. Bob Perry, SmackDaddy, Marty, and even BS were always here and the discussions were "lively" at times. Looks like no one is home here right now. Bob is probably out building and sailing another gorgeous boat he designed, Smack is likely out sailing with his boys and enjoying the summer. Marty is being Marty somewhere, BS, well he is preaching to his follower (s) somewhere up in Canadian waters. Me, well I am all over the place, working my butt off to be able to be out sailing soon once I find the boat I want, and can afford. I hope everyone is well, and bid you all fair winds and smooth sailing wherever you might be.

#4,792 ·
Welcome STC, I had your sentiments exactly when I first got on this thread. Was considering purchasing a steel vessel which I did. There was a bunch of back and forth but I soon realized there was only so much BS one man could absorb before "going off". Smack is totally correct, BS is cheap, petty and anyone who disavowed his doctrine was attacked as a rich elitist or just stupid.
Take BS out of the thread even though he actually had a few moments of sanity ( when he wasn't publishing fiction) and it would have been fairly calm. SN is a pretty cool read, just don't get drawn into the gutter with BS because he can be irritating like zancudo.:hammer

#4,794 ·
Mark:
Welcome back.

I've been a bit busy. We race FRANCIS LEE for the fourth time this weekend. We have been doing very well with a couple of first overall's and a DNF due to no wind. Fact is we got bored and bailed. We race again this weekend. FRANCIS came up to the shack last weekend. It was nice to see the boat on my mooring.

#4,795 ·
BY FAR THE BRENT SWAIN STEEL SAILBOAT HAS PROVEN ITSELF> FOR COASTAL CRUSING AND OFFSHORE time and time again!!> MANY SATISFIED CRUISERS ARE CRUISING AND LIVING ABOARD A BRENT SWAIN STEEL SAILBOAT> AND HAVING A GREAT LIFESTYLE AND SUPPORT AND SAFE CRUISING> I know many myself who have built the Brent Swain and have put so many countries under the keel of thier Brent Swain Steel Boat. Having access to Brent for ideas and questions and concerns is also a plus. Many Architects walk out the door as soon as the huge price of the plans are paid for. Leaving you to wonder what to do now. Brent is generously available and easily and has many folks who back him that are so willing to share ideas, questions, and concerns. Sometimes you can buy one and make it yours and have a giant array of information because you own a Brent Swain Boat. And its a solid platform made of the genuine article. THERE ARE SOME DISBELIEVERS ON THIS SITE I have noticed< BUT THEY SAIL HUNTERS>>OR HAVE HUGE EGOS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRUE ARTICLE OF A BRENT SWAIN BOAT> THATS A FAR CRY FROM actual EXPERIENCE> To my astonishment the disbeleivers are quite immature. Check out the Brent Swain Steel Boat from those who live, sail, build and cruise on them. They have gone everywhere around the planet with giant comfort and success. And for fractions of the dollar. They are a very Exciting and Unique Steel construction wich does not stop at just the hull.. it goes into an entire respected lifestyle . ENJOY! HAPPY SEARCHING! and most of all happy and safe crusing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.