SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another beginner question....
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007

BlueWaterWannaBe is on a distinguished road
Another beginner question....

I am 48, live in California and am a Divemaster (hobby). I am over all the traffic, office work and daily humdrum of life. I love boating and have been to the Greek Islands and Caribbeans. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to live aboard a boat/yacht and either work from there or just enjoy my travels. I want to live aboard as well as be in the bluewater going where ever the wind/charts take me.

I just want the simple life. I've been doing tons of reading on it and realize that there is so much to learn, but it's fun, so it is not scaring me off. I've researched marina's, schools, etc... I guess my question is....I don't know if I prefer a motor yacht or a sailboat. I know nothing of a sailboat so courses would be mandatory. For a motor yacht, the same would probably apply. It seems the majority of people have sailboats. They just seem like a lot of work but much less expensive.

I'm suggested to look into a 25 to 36 foot craft that is roomy. What would best be suitable to start researching and taking courses in? I really have no preference, but cost in maintenance and upkeep would weigh into the equation for the vessel.

Hope you can help!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook